Going to the Chapel

The engagement of Laura and Gavin... and then some.

Friday, February 17, 2006

We're Engaged!

Confirming what many of you knew was coming for the past five-and-a-half years, Gavin and Laura are officially engaged and are SO excited! The scenario jokes about all the things that would be "hilarious" to do for our wedding are running rampant - that's just our style.

Gavin popped the question perfectly with the perfect ring on Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006 - Valentine's Day - and actually managed to catch Laura completely by surprise!

THE TALE:

We went out downtown after work for Valentine's Day. Dinner was at Gioco in the south Loop, a classy Italian spot dolled up to look like a stucco building in Tuscany, but actually situated on south Wabash. The restaurant was by Gavin's Grandma Halcie's apartment on Michigan Avenue, so we decided to stop in on her, bring her flowers and enjoy the amazing view from her apartment. She lives right by the museum campus, so when we left, Gavin suggested we take a walk to the Shedd Aquarium or Millennium Park. I figured he would NEVER walk out to the Shedd with her because it's so inconvenient, so I suggested Millennium Park. We strolled up Michigan Ave. to Millennium Park and walked around a little before plopping down on a bench and watching the skaters. (Our favorite skater was a little boy bundled-up in blue with a white helmet on. He only skated against the flow of the other skaters - diagonally. He was quick too. Thanks to that kid, we saw a lot of hilarious wipe outs and near misses!)

We were having a really great time. Gavin was so relaxed and normal - and not checking his pocket every couple minutes - that in my head I decided, "tonight isn't the night," and was completely ok with it.

He asked if I wanted to walk around some more and take some pictures with my new camera. He knows me too well. Of course I wanted to! I took some pictures and decided we had to take our picture. We figured out the self-timer option and put the camera on a ledge by The Bean (the big reflecting statue, actually called Cloudgate). I wasn't tall enough to see around the back of the camera to set up the shot, so Gavin told me to go pose, that he would set it up. He took awhile, and I thought nothing of it except that I was getting cold. Finally, Gavin told me to stand on the steps. He pressed the button and walked over to me. I am (of course) looking at the camera to see if it's working when he gets down on one knee and pops the question - just in time for the camera to take our picture in the famous pose. We have a picture of the moment we got engaged! I'm blurry, however, because I couldn't stay still. Gavin claims I must have been nodding my head in response. I was caught completely off guard, but couldn't have been more excited. Of course, I said yes!

He didn't have a plan because he knew if he tried to lead me somewhere at a certain time, I'd either know what was happening or give him trouble. At least he has me figured out already! The proposal was all impromptu playing on what he knows I like and like to do. Perfecto! And the ring couldn't be more gorgeous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home