Going to the Chapel

The engagement of Laura and Gavin... and then some.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Shopping for Sites

When we first got engaged, and even before then, I didn’t think there were any pretty or cool places in the suburbs worthy of a reception. I pictured a reception downtown on my beloved lakefront with a stunning view of the city. Reality hit hard when I realized that not only would a reception in the city be impractical, but it would be damn pricey. My rational side overpowering the “I love sparkly things” side:

  • We are, in all likelihood, going to be getting married at good ol’ St. James in Glen Ellyn.
  • The city is 30 miles and a bunch of highways and scary merges away, thus probably preventing our out-of-towners from ever finding a city reception site in time for cake.
  • Guests would have to pay for parking.
  • We would have to pay for a premiere reception site in the city, which costs a lot more than I ever thought it could despite my event planning experience. Clearly, a disconnect in my common sense.
  • On top on the cost of the reception site, food and booze, etc., we would be taxed at the city’s rate, rather than good ol’ DuPage County’s rate.

So, I’ve made peace with the fact that I grew up in the burbs despite my love of Chicago proper, it’s just easier on all accounts if we get hitched where we are.

With that, I am now (probably) driving Gavin nuts by dragging him to seven-plus reception sites to make sure we find the “right” one. Last weekend, we took a grand tour of three sites with detours to one or two along our route – a total of five so far. We already have two lined up for this weekend, and I’m far from done!

Surprisingly, these sites are still extremely expensive, and they offer few ways to cut costs. We’ve starting seriously considering discounts for different days of the week and different seasons in the year to avoid cutting any part of our guest list.

We’re on the prowl for pretty. Suggestions welcome.

1 Comments:

  • At March 05, 2006 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We got married on a Sunday and the reception hall gave us a discount because it is not the biggest day for receptions. We also were planning a little closer to W-Day and the Abbington had a space the got cancelled, so that may have been part of it...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home