Going to the Chapel

The engagement of Laura and Gavin... and then some.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Picture Perfect

I spent another couple hours checking out wedding photographers this weekend. There are so many different styles, price ranges and options to consider to make sure your day looks just as you remember it after the fact on Kodak-quality paper. I have some definite favorites at this point that need to be narrowed to a much smaller list with Gavin’s help.

While looking through album after album at people’s weddings that took place on all days of the year and in all environments, I realized that so many of the things we’ve been stressing over (and over, and over) don’t matter. I know we’re going to have a fun wedding regardless of when it takes place, but we wanted to make it equally as fun and easy for our guests. It also realized, however, that no matter when we schedule the wedding, our families and closest friends will be there. They wouldn’t miss it for the world. Just like any wedding, it’s a major event for those close to the couple no matter when it happens. I can’t get June 10, Melissa’s date, out of my head. It’s a regular, two-day weekend, and yet my Mom and I talk about nothing else besides my wedding lately because we’re so excited for her.

I also realized that Murf and Dan are right, if you have a good photographer it doesn’t matter where you take pictures. The most important thing is that the moments, emotions and people are recorded there.

A photographer at the wedding show last week put it best when he told us how he tries to put a book together. He quoted a woman who requested on her wedding day: “When my children look at my wedding album, I want them to feel like they were there.” That’s all anyone could ask for.

1 Comments:

  • At March 28, 2006 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just going through my pictures this weekend. (Apparently I had not made albums for the grandmothers, so I made my first foray into scrapbooking this weekend.) I discovered that our pictures fall into three categories: traditional, less traditional, and completely candid. The traditional includes the table shots, the cake shots, the wedding party etc. They are a good way of documenting who was there. (That one is straight from my mother's mouth...) The less traditional are more shots of the two of us in interesting angles and places. Some nice pictures came out of this, but some were a little strange. Gotta give the photographer points for creativity. The completely candid ones are the best because they capture the emotion of the day and your kids will be able to feel like they are there. They are also great because you are actually smiling instead of the fake smiles that get pasted on after posed photo number 83. I would recommend talking to some people who have worked with your favorites. While my photographer was fantastic, the actual man running the show was a disorganized and late. The portfolios are great but if they're not reliable on the back-end it can cause problems. My parents-in-law still don't have an album...and we can't track down the guy because he moved his location. Just a heads up...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home